Sunday, October 9, 2016

Weekend Four

This first picture actually took place before the weekend.  Dustin spent every single night after work this week making the most of the daylight and working on tying rebar until he couldn't see.  Every. Single. Night.  :-(  A few nights, Jaden and I were able to stop by and spend some time with him.  Late nights = super late dinners, little family time, and a worn out dad.  He's keeping a pretty good attitude about it and his eye is on the prize.  Me...that's another story.  Remember that very first post when I told you I didn't really want to build a house?  THIS would be one of the reasons why.  I know, I know...suck it up, buttercup.  It will be all worth it when it's finished...blah, blah, blah.  The truth is:  right now it sucks a little so I'm throwing a little pity party for myself right here on my blog.


Saturday, the guys spent the morning running around gathering things they needed to continue working on putting up the wall forms.  Here, we've got more rebar tying.  Who knew there was so much rebar inside those concrete walls?!?!


Oooh, oooh!  The wall forms started going up.  See that big guy right in the center?  That's Dave.  You may not be able to tell in this picture (unless maybe you know about how big Dustin is and can see him over on the right and begin comparing the two), but Dave is big.  Like B-I-G.  I like to call him a bear.  I think of him more of a big teddy bear, but I believe that if you got on the wrong side of this fella, that wouldn't be the comparison you would use.  And the guys at work probably wouldn't agree with me, either.  At any rate, it's pretty entertaining to watch him pick up those big, heavy forms like they're little sacks of potatoes.


Johnnie and Dave got a good start on setting up the wall forms...


....while Dustin kept typing rebar.  Does this part EVER end?!?!  (Says the girl who just takes the pictures, runs the errands, and delivers lunch.)


Finally, Dustin gets to jump into the wall form game!  Once they got going, I got a better idea of how big the house is going to be.  You see, this house is going to be kind-of a surprise for me.  Yes, I've seen the plans and was actually a part of those decisions.  However, I just don't have that spatial sense that some people have.  I know how many bedrooms and bathrooms this house will have, and I even know the square footage.  It just doesn't mean much to me because I can't "see" it in my mind.  The wall forms are helping a lot with that.  I'll be glad to "see" it in real life!


They completed one whole side of the house and got a good start on the safe room, but didn't make as much progress as they had hoped.  What does that mean?  It means more late nights for Dustin this week and pushing back the concrete one more weekend.  Well, I suppose we ought to go ahead and get used to being flexible with the plan!


I'm sure Dustin will be super excited that I decided to share this picture, but it's part of the building process, and I feel like in order to stay true to that process, I had to include it.  Apparently, a piece of rebar got a little sassy and decided to take a small chunk out of his nose.  #ouch


What do you have to look forward to?  We hope to have the rest of the wall forms set by the end of next weekend.  I guess we'll see if we can get that done.  (It's also our son's birthday next weekend!)  See you next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment